Tuesday, July 7, 2009

C.P

Today Izaiah had a doctors appointment. for his 9 month check up and to discuss some problems that we were having with him. His therapist was a little concerned because he still can not sit on his own and he thrusts his body every time he tries. We just needed to express this to his doctor and make sure everything was ok. I was not prepared for the results. Izaiah has Cerebral Palsy. Now that i know, it is so obvious when you look at him. How did i not know? In the back of my mind, I always thought there was something not quite right, but there was always an excuse for my worries. He is behind on his development. He barely started holding his head up all the way and he can not sit up by himself. Everyone chalked it up to prematurity. He has had these weird indentations on his legs ever since he was born and he could never straighten his legs all the way. i brought my concerns up to numerous doctors and they all said not to worry his muscles were just fused to his bone but he shouldn't have any problems with it. The body thrusting was a new development within the last couple of weeks. This is what drew some red flags. We have an appointment. with his therapist on Thursday to find out what type of new therapy he will have to do, but the doctor told us some things that we will need to do. Along with continual muscle stretches and massage, we have to lay him on his belly and let him try and work his upper body muscles. The hard thing about this is he screams bloody murder when he does it. He has no upper body strength and so this position is very difficult and stressful for him. The only was for him to acquire the strength is to just let him cry and work his muscles. It is so hard for me to sit and listen to my baby scream! I feel so helpless. I know that Zai is going to fight through this disease like he has fought through everything else, but I can't help being sad and angry. I love my son so much and my heart breaks every time I hear him cry. I know he is in pain and he is so tired, but there is not one thing I can do but sit back and watch. He is such an amazing child, and I know this will only make him stronger, but i would give anything to take this away.

7 comments:

Tasia said...

I have decided the amazing one here is you. You and your family must be so incredibly special to have a child like Zai sent to you. There are not many people that could handle all that you have been through. I know everything will work out, I can't even imagine how hard it is for you to watch your baby suffer. Stay strong!

Emily and Casey Hansen said...

Oh Ash I'm so sorry to hear this news! You are so strong! If we can ever do anything for you let me know! Our prayers are with you!
I am sad we didn't get to see you while we were in town, we ended up leaving early and going to Salmon for the 4th.
You are amazing Ash, give me a call whenever! Love ya!

Brooke said...

I agree completely with the other comments, you are obviously the right ones to take on all of this. You seem to handle it all so well. As long as he has you, I'm sure he will do great and handle the challenges ahead of him!

Petersons said...

i'm so sorry to hear that! it seems like everytime you get used to one challenge life hands you another. I think Heavenly Father must give these challenges to the strongest people. You are always so positive and it seems like you can handle anything! He is so lucky to be in your family!! let us know if we can ever do anything!!

Audy & Ash said...

Oh we love you guys and know that you are the perfect family to have Zai and handle the challenges ahead.... I admire your strength and courage you are such an amazing MOM and Zai is such a strong little man he is going to push through CP like he has everything else!! You are always in our prayers!

Tyler, Eleasha, and Wyatt said...

Ashley, I am so sorry, but I know that you are going to get through this. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness. Ashley, it has been forever since I last saw you. I came across you blog via Ben's and just read your recent entry and then found myself frantically reading about your past year with your amazing little son. I just wanted you to know that it broke my heart to hear what you are all going through and that my tears were mostly for you as a mother... you are unreal and your strength is inspiring. God bless you and your darling family. You are in my prayers. I have always thought you were a doll and I just hope for the best for you.