Friday, February 6, 2009

Collapsed lungs

Of course, good news doesn't last for long! This morning at about 5:00 am, the doctor called me and told me that Izaiah had taken a turn for the worse. He wasn't breathing (even with the ventilator) and so they did some x-rays and saw that both of his lungs had collapsed. They immediately put him on the oscillator to completely keep his lungs open. He had a lot of fluid in the pockets of his lungs, so they needed to do a thorocentisis to remove it. They stuck a needle in between his rib cage and tapped the lung to pull out the fluid. He received his 9th blood transfusion and had more blood cultures sent off to see if he had grown another type of infection. He is going to be monitored very closely for the next little while to make sure nothing else occurs and hopefully everything turns out OK. Most of the test results won't be back for about 24 hours, but I thought I would update everyone while I had the chance.

1 comment:

Andrea! said...

Hello Cousins! I'm so sorry to hear about all of these complications little Zai keeps having. I check up on your blog pretty frequently, but never take the time to send a little hello. I think about your family often and think the world of you. You've both been so strong! I envy that. Amaya and I continue to say prayers for you. We don't live to far from the hospital, so please don't hesitate if you need anything! We love you!!